Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Dec 27, 2008

Back to work and CHRISTMAS

Wow, I have so much to blog about but its soo jumbled in my head lets see if I can get it all out and make sense :).

Lets start with last Friday, December 19th. Daniel and I were running around Hampton Roads trying to get all of the paperwork done and filed properly so that we can get reimbursed for our Mayo Clinic trip. Dan's shop was having there Christmas party that day at a restaurant called Roger Browns. It was very good food, but the people I am friends with were at a different table on the other side of the section that we were in :(. Anyways, right before we got to the restaurant Karen called and told me that she was quitting. She was going to email Mike Marshall and Dave with her resignation, telling them everything that was wrong with the hotel and the way they managed it. Because I know that Dave does not always read his emails I called Duane at Marshall Management and told him what was going on and asked what should I do. He went to his boss, Rick, and then called me back and told me that they had to tell Dave. After all was said and done, Dave came down for the luncheon with the owners on Saturday, which I did not go to do to other things that needed to get done at home. Dan got contacts and now is a sexy beast with no glasses to get in his way :)
On Sunday Dan and I woke up with the beginnings of a cold. Of course his was pretty much gone by the end of the day while mine just started to go away yesterday...We went and saw "Yes Man". It was very cute and a good entertaining movie. It was about time Jim Carey came out with a new movie so I was happy :).
Monday I went back to work and only worked for a few hours before I left for a physical therapy appt for my knee. Tuesday I worked a little longer because I had stuff to get done and because Dave came down to see what mess Karen had left. Not long after he came into the office he came up to me and said "I have already told Marshall this and I am telling you, if you want that desk it is yours you are more then capable." That made me feel so much better about all the work I put into that place. He told me that when I first got put into the hospital they started to notice that something wasn't right at the hotel. I guess Duane came in and was asking Karen for some reports and she had no idea how to get them. I do remember had calling me about how to find them but I had never thought that it was a "test" for her. Dave was very unhappy that she had to call me to find the information. I then told him what had really been going on it the hotel w/ me doing the owners report and Susan's marketing/budget report. I told him that I had done it and they didn't even try to do the reports with out me. He would ask why something wasn't done and I told him the answer to that question was "I wasn't here". Its a very sad answer, but it was the truth. I also realized that a lot of the problems the hotel had Dave was unaware of. Karen wasn't telling him when things broke, and she wasn't trying to fix them. Now I don't blame her for the not fixing part because there was no money, but she should have informed Dave about it. I left at lunch time to get lunch then to go to a counseling appointment with Dan. After that we just hung out at home. On Wednesday we both worked a half day and enjoyed a quiet Christmas Eve together. On Christmas day we woke up and opened presents and then went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It was a good movie but it sucked because the theater was small and full so it was very hot, and since the movie was long and on the slower side the hotter it got the slower the movie seemed to drag, plus for some reason I was very sleepy and with the heat it was very hard to stay awake. We just hung out at home and had ham, baked potatoes, corn bread and pumpkin pie for dinner. It was delicious expect I had no powdered sugar for the pie so that stunk!
Friday I went back to work with a completely new attitude. I have come to the conclusion that if I can get everyone to pull there own weight we can turn the hotel back around into the place that it was when it opened instead of the dump that it has become. If they don't to pay me and a manager salary they will be able to pay of some of the bills faster so that we are able to order the things we need in the hotel. Everyone seems to like that idea for a few reasons, the biggest being that they already feel less stressed coming to the hotel and want to keep it that way. Hopefully with me and the help of Dave we will be able to get this place back to the way it should be. I am very hopeful and have a lot of faith that it can be done...especially before we hit the busy season again.
I guess the big factor in all this is me. I need to be able to get through the pain and get stuff done, but make sure I don't over due it and make myself worse. I am very scared about taking on the responsibility of the entire hotel but I have done it before for a short period of time. I would rather have to do everything at my pace then have to train and do stuff for someone at a different pace. Lets hope everything will work out for the best. Pray! I need it!! :) Thank you! :)

0 comments: