Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Jan 16, 2009

pacemaker

So here is a quick update from my little pow wow with the docs this morning.
They have decided to turn on my pace maker to pace my heart all the time. They say that it will help get me onto the new meds because my heart rate will be higher so I will have a better chance of tolerating the medication. They are only pacing the atrium (the top half) and then letting the ventricles (the bottom half) follow along. They werent sure if my heart would do it properly but it did which is good. Pacing the ventricles too much can lead to heart failure or other problems quicker.
It gave me a headache and made me feel weird at first but now I can't tell which is really good.
They did not have to give me a transfusion which they mentioned yesterday because my blood counts were only low because of all the fluid they put in me. However they did have to give me some magnesium because my 3am blood work showed that my magnesium and protein were low. They just came in and pulled more blood so hopefully it will be good now.
They also want me to start moving around more and walking around the nurses area and what not. That makes me really nervous because just walking to the bathroom is hard. I get really dizzy and feel really weak sometimes. I also get really short of breath. Hopefully with my heart rate going a little faster that will help.
I dont know when I am going home but probably in the next day or so as long as I start feeling better. They said I looked better which is good but I am not feeling much better. I am still hurting a lot. I feel like my heart is like the size of a basketball trying to fit into an orange. It is soo tight. It is tight always but when they give me pain meds it helps easy the pain that comes with the tightness and pressure.
I will update again later. time to doze :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you Katie! I hope this procedure works for you! Take it easy! Big hugs coming your way! Love, Diana (your favorite cuz)